You sometimes see the term administrator, or admin, thrown around in discussions from time to time, but what is an admin? In the simple sense, an admin is a user with special powers over administration and management of the site. There are several ways to contact the administrators: leaving a talk page message for any active admin, or by using one of the contact options at the "admins" userpage.
What administrators are
Admins have several special abilities including:
- Protecting pages (lock them from editing or moving)
- Deleting pages and images (remove them from the public database)
- Deletion review and undeletion of pages
- Suspending or banning users
- Implementing certain policies
- Editing protected and restricted pages
- Creating new admins and flagging bots (bureaucrats only)
Being an admin is a privilege, not a right.
Note that admins are not "required" to use their powers, but when they do it is appreciated.
What they are not
Importantly, they should not generally be viewed as the leaders, or staff, of the wiki. The wiki is generally not hierarchical, and only very rarely can the title be used to win an argument. Unilateral decision-making should also be avoided as it can damage the trust that should be built up between all users of a wiki.
Becoming an admin
Every so often, users are asked if they wish to become admins or users may ask to be considered for the role. However, admins need to show that they can cope with a fair bit of responsibility. To request the position of adminship, please see Requests for adminship. Before doing so, it should be noted that prospective (and incumbent) admins should be able to:
- Stay calm, mature, and rational at all times.
- Be able to negotiate and cope with not always getting their way.
- Have a high standard of reasoning and communication skills.
No user has ever been demoted on Graal Kingdoms Wiki for inactivity since we know no-one can escape the Graal Kingdoms. :)
Types of administrators
This is the admin (also known as a sysadmin) who sets up and maintains the actual infrastructure of the wiki, such as what computer it runs on, what internet connection it uses, how things get paid for, what software is used, etc. All major decisions about Graal Kingdoms Wiki defer to the system administrator.
Curse acts as our system administrator, while the technical system administrator role is filled by Curse technical staff.
A bureaucrat is a type of wiki user able to rename users, as well as alter the group memberships of users. These groups include the "bot" right, the "sysop" right, the "patrollers group" right, among others.<ref>Via Special:Userrights: Add and remove admin, add bureaucrat, add and remove rollback, add and remove Patrollers (GK), add and remove bot</ref>
- Sky - PTR and new-content fanatic. Active on Slack.
GK Wiki administrator
This is your more day-to-day admin (member of the "Sysop" wiki user group) who responds to issues in the wiki, like making special changes (page locking, blocking users, restoring deleted pages, large-scale rollbacks, importing pages, etc.). This is the user who you should appeal to when you have a problem, and they should also help resolve disputes and enforce policies.
Most active or semi-active administrators can be reached, at least by Discord. Activity in this case is how much said administrator makes changes to the wiki in some way, outside of certain page maintenance.
- FBI - Owner and operator of the Graal Kingdoms Wiki website
- ANGRYPancake - Generally monitors images coming and going. A category for everything and everything in its category. Active on Graal Kingdoms. Big contributor!
- Qeeyo - Adds and fixes that stuff that nobody else wants to.
- Yann - Adds and fixes that stuff that nobody else wants to. Obsessed with Graal Kingdoms. GK Staff - FAQ
- Lugin - Corrects image flaws and level designs on Graal Kingdoms
- REW_darklink200 - Great with fixing and updating weapons that have been change in game. Can be found in discord GK channel
- Frank - Frank is the FAQ admin and is responsible for keeping the news and other sections of the site up to date
- TrueMOD - Updates items location/NPC locations on wiki if they have been moved by the level team
- WolfieGots - Updates the GK event section of GK Wiki when new events are made.
- WulfeXanadu - Great graphics artist for Graal Kingdoms and help out with wiki once it first came available
- Third - Great with helping with the basic setup of the wiki. No longer wish to help due to real life events
- Sky - Inactive on wiki staff due to real life events and managing Graal Kingdoms
- Alf - Inactive on Wiki was planning on making a script on GK to update the wiki news page